Thank you for purchasing your Kowa TSN-880/770 Series spotting scope.
Please take a few minutes to read the following instruction manual in order to better understand the operation, capabilities, care and maintenance of your spotting scope.
Features and Specifications
1 Objective Lens
2 Focus Knob
3 tripod Mount
4 Release Button
5 Accessory Ring
*Eyepieces are sold separately.
Main Body Specifications
|Model||Effective Diameter of Objective Lens||Minimum Focusing Distance||Main Body Length||Main Body Weight||Diameter of Filter*|
|TSN-883 PROMINAR||88 mm||5m (5.5yds)||343mm (13.50in)||1,520g (53.6oz)||95 mm|
|TSN-884 PROMINAR||88 mm||5m (5.5yds)||329mm (12.95in)||1,520g (53.6oz)||95 mm|
|TSN-773 PROMINAR||77 mm||5m (5.5yds)||318mm (12.52in)||1,330g (46.9oz)||82 mm|
|TSN-774 PROMINAR||77 mm||5m (5.5yds)||304mm (11.97in)||1,330g (46.9oz)||82 mm|
*Filter threads on the objective.
＊Observation with the hand-held spotting scope is difficult because of image blurring. Use a stable tripod for observation.
＊Specifications and appearance of the product are subject to change without prior notice.
- Eyepiece Mount Cap
- Objective Lens Cap
- Instruction Manual (this document)
Functions and Use
Sliding Hood with Alignment Sight
Slide the hood away from the body to protect the lens from exposure to rain or to keep direct sunlight from entering the spotting scope. When the object you wish to view is difficult to find, the sight built into the lens hood can be used to find the object.
The filter threads in front of the objective lens allow various types of filters to be attached to the spotting scope.
Rotating Tripod Mount
The rotating tripod mount allows the spotting scope to be set at various angles while attached to the tripod. The body of the spotting scope can be turned by loosening the lock screw counterclockwise and rotating the scope to the desired position. (The rotation range of the spotting scope is 225°.)
* Do not apply excessive force beyond the 225° rotation range, as this can cause damage to the scope and keep it from rotating smoothly.
The tripod mount has a removable screw that allows the spotting scope to be attached to either 1/4 and 3/8 inch tripod heads. With the tripod screw inserted the mount can be used on 1/4 inch tripods. Removing the screw allows the scope to be attached to 3/8 inch tripods.
Bayonet Eyepiece Mount
The bayonet mount system of the spotting scope allows the eyepiece to be easily attached and removed. The eyepiece locking mechanism securely mounts the eyepieces to the spotting scope and prevents the zoom eyepiece from accidentally falling out of the eyepiece mount from over rotation that can occur when zooming.
[ How to attach the eyepiece ]
Align the red dot on the eyepiece with the red dot on the spotting scope and insert the eyepiece. Turn the eyepiece clockwise until it clicks, which indicates that the eyepiece is locked in place.
*The eyepiece can not be attached to the spotting scope unless the red dots are aligned.
[ How to remove the eyepiece ]
When removing the eyepiece, press the release button on the left side of the spotting scope while turning the eyepiece counterclockwise.
*Do not attempt to remove the eyepiece without pressing the release button. This can cause damage to both the spotting scope and eyepiece.
The focus knob of the spotting scope has a two-step mechanism; one for fine focusing and one for quick focusing. This system allows a smooth transition from quick focusing to fine adjustment. The minimum focus distance is 5 m.
[ Focusing ]
When the object is substantially out of focus, use the quick focus knob, to bring the object into focus 3 times faster than when using the fine focus knob. The quick focus knob can focus from 5m to infinity in only two revolutions.
The fine focus is convenient for fine focusing and slight adjustments.
* Do not turn the focus knob beyond its turning range, as it will damage the focusing mechanism.
There is a protective ring that is attached to the accessory mount threads. This protective ring must be removed before attaching any accessories and can only be removed when an eyepiece is not attached to the spotting scope. Turn the accessory ring counterclockwise to unscrew it.
Objective Lens Cap / Eyepiece Mount Cap
Objective lens cap: The spotting scope comes with a protective cap that be be attached to the front of the spotting scope to protect the objective lens. The objective lens cap can be attached or removed by pressing the buttons on the side of the cap.
Eyepiece mount cap: The spotting scope comes with a protective cap that can be inserted in the eyepiece mount when an eyepiece is not attached to the spotting scope. To attach or remove the eyepiece mount cap, align the dot on the eyepiece cap with the red dot on the spotting scope. Turn the cap clockwise to attach and counterclockwise to remove. The eyepiece lock release button does not have to be pressed when removing the eyepiece mount cap.
* Do not apply force to the cap as it can be damaged.
Maintenance and Storage
Care and cleaning of the lens
- Use a blower, can of air, or soft oil-free brush to remove dust from the lens surface.
- Fingerprints and other substances left on the lens surface can cause mold growth. After removing dust, lightly wipe the lens with a soft lens cloth, gauze, or cleaning paper (available at a camera shop) dampened with a small amount of lens cleaner. Wipe the lens surface gently in a circular motion, starting from the center and working out to the edge. If the lens surface is still dirty repeat the process again, using a new piece of cleaning paper or an unused portion of the cloth. After this, use the moisture from your breath to fog the lens and wipe it clean, using a new piece of cleaning paper or cloth.
- A commercial lens cleaner can leave behind a film on the lens surface so use as small a quantity as possible.
How to clean the body
- Remove dust and debris with a blower or can of air and wipe with a clean soft cloth. Do not use solvents such as acetone, benzene, paint thinner, or products that contain these solvents to clean the body. These products can discolor or deform the outer surface of the body.
- Carefully brush dirt and debris from the focus knob, sliding hood, and other moving parts.
- Storing the spotting scope without cleaning can leave stains on the surface and promote mold growth. Cleaning is especially important after using the spotting scope in dusty or humid conditions, or after use in the rain or near the coast.
- After cleaning, allow the spotting scope to dry thoroughly indoors at room temperature, replace all lens caps, and then store the spotting scope in a dry place. Place the spotting scope in an airtight container together with desiccant when storing for extended periods of time.
- Never look at the sun. Severe eye damage could occur up to the permanent loss of eyesight.
- Make sure that small pieces and packaging such as eyepiece caps, covers, plastic bags etc. are out of the reach of children. If such an item is swallowed, serious injury, suffocation, or death could occur.
- Set the spotting scope correctly, otherwise it may fall, causing damage or injury.
- Do not place the spotting scope in an unstable location. If it falls or tips over, injury may occur.
- Do not leave the product in direct sunlight. Fire may occur.
- Do not leave the product near open flames, inside a car, or in any place where extreme temperatures may occur. This can cause optical damage and lead to the failure of waterproofing.
- Skin inflammation or irritation may occur by long term contact with rubber parts. If such a condition occurs, consult a physician.
- When using the spotting scope in an urban setting, make sure that you do not disturb the privacy of others.
- This product is waterproof which allows for use in the rain. However, immersion in water and use of the focus knob when wet should be avoided whenever possible.
- Do not attempt to repair or open up the spotting scope body. This will void the warranty.
Inquiry about repair
If there is a need to return your scope to the manufacturer for repair or maintenance, please contact Kowa's distributor.
*Kowa is not responsible for any damage caused by mishandling and or natural disasters such as, fire, earthquakes, floods, etc.
*Kowa is not responsible for any damage caused by an unauthorized service center.