Product: Minox MD 7x42 C
- Operating parts
- Customer Service
- Important note for wearers of glasses
- Distance measurement
- How to work the scaled graticule for rangefinding
- How to Measure the Angular
- Elevation by the Vertical Scale
- Value on the MIL Reticle
- How to Measure the azimuth by the horizontal scale value on the MIL Reticle
- How to Measure Height or Length of a target object when the distance is known
- How to Work the Compass
- Tips on how to care
- Technical data
- Conditions of warranty
1. Turnable eyecup
2. Focussing ring
3. Lens protective cover
5. Hand strap
6. Light well
If your monocular needs servicing, please contact our customer service at the following address:
D-35578 Wetzlar, Germany
Tel.: +49 (0) 6441 / 917-700
For our customers abroad: Please contact one of our authorized service shops or one of our MINOX agencies. You will find the addresses of our agencies on our website www.minox.com
With the MINOX MD 7x42 C you have chosen a product of the highest optical and mechanical precision quality. This manual should help to get familiar with the monocular and get the most pleasure and enjoyment out of it.
We wish every satisfaction with your new MINOX product!
Important note for wearers of glasses
For users who wear glasses while using the monocular, turn the eyecup (1) all the way to the right. Those who do not wear glasses, turn the eyecup all the way to the left. This enables provides for a perfect eye distance to the ocular lens, enabling a full field of view without vignetting.
To focus on a subject with a high level of precision, it is important to set the lens of the monocular using the following steps:
(a) Position the eyepiece of the monocular in front of one eye and look through it. Please close the other eye.
(b)Get your subject in sight.
(c) Now turn the focussing ring (2) to the left or the right until the subject is sharp.
You are now using your MINOX monocular as it should be used. Of course, if you or your subject moves, just re-focus.
Note: Make sure, that you do not cover the light well with your fingers.
How to work the scaled graticule for rangefinding
To measure distance by a simple formula when height or hength is known:
In practice, sizes (Height/ Length) of observed objects are known with reasonable accuracy
1) Angular Elevation = Vertical Angle
2) Azimuth = Horizontal Angle since they are often people, buildings and vehicles.
How to Measure the Angular Elevation by the Vertical Scale Value on the MIL Reticle
In the case of the Angular Elevation* of the target object within the range of the vertical scale value (70 mils), as in the figure showed, firstly put the vertical scale Value ‚0‘ at the foot of the lighthouse, then we could find the Angular Elevation of the lighthouse at 60 MILs easily and directly.
In the case of the Angular Elevation of the target object beyond the range of the Vertical Scale Value (70 Mils), we should determine it in stages.
*Angular measurement between two lines, when one of them is surface line and another is the line which connect a point on the surface to the peak of the object is know as Angular Elevation of that object with reference to the particular on the surface.
How to Measure the azimuth by the horizontal scale value on the MIL Reticle
The azimuth is the angle of horizontal deviation from the north. As in the figure showed, the azimuth of the ship at 60 MILs is determined by the horizontal scale value easily and directly same way as the angular elevation measurement.
How to Measure Height or Length of a target object when the distance is known
Based on the way of Angular Elevation measurement or azimuth measurement, we can determine the height or length of the target object by a simple formula as following:
Height (m) = Distance (km) x Angular Elevation respectively
Length (m) = Distance (km) x Azimuth
How to Work the Compass
When using a compass, the direction is read in degrees. As the Figure 4 Showed, north would be an azimuth of 360°, east would be an azimuth of 90°, south would be an azimuth of 180°and west would be an azimuth of 270°.
Note: One graduation represents 1 degree.
Tips on how to care
Soiling impairs the brightness of your MINOX monocular. We therefore recommend always removing fingerprints, dust and other forms of soiling on the surfaces of the lens and eyepieces using a soft hair brush or a special lens cleaner.
|Front lens diameter||1.65 inch / 42 mm|
|Exit pupil||0.27 inch / 6 mm|
|Field of view (at 1,000 yds / 1,000 m)||372 ft / 113.4 m / 6.5°|
|Eye relief||0.8 inch / 20.5 mm|
|Waterproof||down to 3 ft / 1 m|
|Height x Width x Depth||2.65 x 2.40 x 5.62 inch
65 x 61 x 143 mm
|Weight approx.||13.05 oz / 370 g|
Conditions of warranty
With the purchase of this MINOX product you have acquired a product that has been manufactured and inspected in accordance with especially high quality standards. For this product we provide a legal warranty of 2 years, in accordance with the following regulations from the day of purchase at an authorized dealer:
1) During the warranty period we shall compensate complaints based on faulty manufacture with repair, replacement of defective parts or by replacement with an identical flawless product at our own discretion. Consequential claims, regardless of manner or legal argument in connection with this warranty, will not be accepted.
2) Claims under warranty are null and void if the defect has been caused by improper handling – which also can include the combined use of non-MINOX accessories – if the MINOX product is serviced by unauthorized persons or workshops, or if the serial number has been made unreadable.
3) Warranty claims can only be made by submission of the printed receipt as proof of purchase from an authorized dealer.
4) When submitting claims under warranty, please return the MINOX product together with the proof of purchase and a description of the complaint to MINOX GmbH in Germany, or the nearest MINOX dealer.
5) Tourists may, if necessary, make use of the MINOX dealer in the country in which they are travelling (within the warranty terms of MINOX GmbH) by presenting the printed proof of purchase.
Tel.: +49 (0) 6441 / 917-0
Fax: +49 (0) 6441 / 917-612