Thank you for purchasing Celestron Cosmos™ Tree of Life binoculars. Cosmos™ introduced us to the abundant, natural beauty of the universe we live in. We hope that these binoculars help you continue to discover your world.
There’s no better way to appreciate nature, wildlife, or landscapes than with a pair of binoculars. We can view subtle details, like the petals of wildflowers, or massive geological features like the jagged edges of a distant mountain. Binoculars also help us observe the behavior of wildlife from a safe distance, without disturbing the animals. With your Tree of Life binoculars, you can study birds, deer, insects, reptiles, and more. Try taking your binoculars out at night to reveal unseen details in the night sky, craters on the Moon and the Orion Nebula.
WARNING: Never look at the sun while using your binocular. Looking at the sun can cause permanent eye damage.
ADJUSTING THE INTERPUPILLARY DISTANCE (IPD)
The interpupillary distance, or the distance between the pupils, varies from person to person. The binocular must be correctly aligned (adjusted) to the distance between your pupils to achieve a single, clear image. To adjust this distance, lift the binocular up to your eyes (using both hands) and look through them at an object in the distance. Move the two barrels (halves) of the binocular closer together or further apart until you see a single, clear image (Fig. 2). Check that the interpupillary distance is set correctly every time you use your binocular.
SETTING THE DIOPTER / FOCUSING
To ensure a crisp, sharp image the focusing system of the binocular must be set to compensate for any differences in your eyesight. This is achieved by setting the diopter (located on the right eyepiece) before use. To set the binocular to your eyesight follow the instructions below.
- View an object in the distance through the binocular.
- Cover the right objective lens with your hand or the objective lens cap.
- Rotate the focus wheel until the image viewed with your left eye is clear and sharp.
- Cover the left objective lens with your hand or objective lens cap.
- Viewing the same object, adjust the diopter ring until the image viewed with your right eye is clear and sharp.
- Your binocular is now adjusted to your eyes and focusing on any object can now be achieved by simply turning the focus wheel.
Tip: Eyeglasses worn for nearsightedness should be worn when using binoculars as you may not be able to obtain focus at infinity without them.
The COSMOS™ Tree of Life feature twist-up eyecups to accommodate both eyeglass and non-eyeglass wearers. If you do not wear eyeglasses, twist the eyecups counterclockwise until they reach the up position. If you wear eyeglasses, make sure that the eyecups are in the down position to obtain the maximum field of view. The eyecups can be set at positions between fully up and down which may suit some users better.
The 42 mm version of the COSMOS™ Tree of Life binocular features built-in threads that allow the binocular to be attached to a tripod using a binocular tripod adapter. These threads can be accessed by unscrewing the logo plate found on the front of the hinge (Fig. 5). To attach the binocular to a tripod, thread the adapter into the binocular and attach the other end of the adapter to a photographic tripod. Mounting the binocular on a tripod allows for added stability and comfort during prolonged viewing.
WATERPROOF / FOGPROOF
The COSMOS™ Tree of Life binoculars are waterproof and filled with dry nitrogen gas to prevent the housing from fogging internally.
CARE AND STORAGE
Your Celestron binocular will provide you years of dependable service if it is cared for and stored properly.
- Protect the binocular from impact and do not force any of the moving parts beyond their limits.
- Protect the optics of your binocular by putting on all lens caps when not in use.
- Store your binocular in a cool, dry place whenever possible.
- When storing for an extended period of time, place the binocular in a plastic bag or airtight container with a desiccant.
- Do not leave the binocular in a car on a hot/ sunny day or near anything that generates heat as this may cause damage.
- Clean any dust, dirt or water that may get on the binocular or inside moving parts as soon as possible to prevent any unforeseen damage.
Proper cleaning of the lenses is essential to maintaining the optical integrity of your binocular. Dirty lenses diminish the amount of light transmitted through the binocular and your overall viewing experience.
- Remove any dust on the lenses with a soft lens brush or can of pressurized air.
- Remove any fingerprints, stains or smudges from the lens surface with a soft, clean lens cloth or lens tissue by rubbing in a circular motion. Start in the middle of the lens and work your way to the edges. Breathe lightly on the lens to provide moisture if needed.
- For a more thorough cleaning we recommend the use of a lens/optics cleaning kit available at most photo or optical shops. Follow the directions supplied with the cleaning kit for best results.
SERVICE AND REPAIR
If warranty problems arise or repairs are necessary, contact the Celestron customer service department if you live in the United States or Canada. If you live outside of these countries, please contact the dealer you purchased your binocular from or the Celestron distributor in your country. A list of our distributors can be found on the website, www.celestron.com
Your binocular is covered under the Celestron Limited Lifetime Warranty. Celestron warrants these binoculars to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the binoculars’ usable lifetime to the original owner. Celestron will repair or replace the binoculars which, upon inspection by Celestron, are found to be defective in materials or workmanship and within the definitions of the limits described below. This warranty does not cover products that have been subject to abuse, misuse, physically damaged, altered, or had unauthorized repairs or modifications.
This warranty does not cover defects due to normal wear and tear and other conditions.
This warranty is valid to U.S.A. and Canadian customers who have purchased their binocular from an authorized Celestron dealer in the U.S.A. or Canada. For products purchased outside of the U.S.A. or Canada please contact your local Celestron Distributor or authorized Dealer for applicable warranty information. Additional warranty information and eligibility details can be found on the Celestron website.
This product is designed and intended for use by those 14 years of age and older. Product design and specifications are subject to change without prior notification.